alShaders is a work-in-progress production shading library for SolidAngle's Arnold. It currently contains a surface shader and a few utility shaders, and the aim is to slowly build it into a full-featured production-quality shader library. As it is in constant development it is liable to change at any time and there's a good chance plenty of stuff is broken. The library is developed by me, Anders Langlands, as a personal learning project and should in no way be associated with my employer.
Installation instructions (Also see »[SItoA] Installing the alShaders in Softimage«
posted by Stephen Blair in the Arnold Support Center): Copy the content of the bin folder to ...\Addons\SItoA\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64 in windows or ...\Addons\SItoA\Application\Plugins\bin\linux in linux That should be enough to at least get the shaders on the Arnold > DLL Shaders menu Copy the SPDLs to ...\Addons\SItoA\Application\spdl In Softimage, before you try to use the shaders, generate presets (in the Plug-in Tree, right-click the spdl and click Regenerate Presets) In the render tree, you may need to refresh the preset manager to see the shaders. If you've already created some instances of the shader and they didn't have the PPGLayout, delete the spdl xsiindex in your $XSI_USERHOME\Application folder and start Softimage again.
The collection includes: alSurface
- A general-purpose, physically plausible surface shader. It supports diffuse, backlighting, emission, subsurface, two layers of (glossy) specular and (glossy) transmission including single scattering alHair
A (very) WIP implementation of ISHair: Importance Sampling for Hair Scattering
by Ou et. al. alBlackbody
- A blackbody radiation shader that generates a plausible emission colour given the temperature of the material. Intended for hot things and light sources alCombine
- Utility shaders to combine float and color types in various ways (multiply, mix etc.) alColorSpace
- Node to convert sRGB and log images to linear for use in rendering alLayer
- Shader to layer two surface shaders together alCellNoise
- A cellnoise pattern generator with various different options for distance metrics and their combination alFractal
- A fractal pattern generator capable of generating fBm, turbulence and (ridged) multi-fractal patterns. alGaborNoise
- A gabor noise pattern generator alFlowNoise
- A flow noise pattern generator alPattern
- Basic 1D pattern generation - sine, saw etc. alPhotometric
- Light filter for photometric light data. Currently supports IES files only alRemap
- Utility shaders for remapping and adjusting float and color values alInputVector
- Utility shader for grabbing certain vector and point-like attributes from the shader globals (e.g. N, P, uv etc) for use in your shader networks. See the bitbucket repository for downloads and a few other of Anders' Arnold related projects.